Book Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication date: January 2011
ISBN: 9780061996160

Source: e-copy of ARC from NetGalley

Unearthly (Unearthly - Trilogy)

Clara is an angel-blood - one quarter angel - which definitely sets her apart from other teenagers.  When her family moves from sunny California to freezing Wyoming in order for her to fulfill her purpose, she fits in even less.  Having to dye your hair a wretched color to keep people from noticing your glow definitely puts a damper on your social life.  But, she does manage to meet the gorgeous Christian, who is intimately bound up in her purpose.  But, when the time comes to fulfill her purpose, will she make the right choice or follow her heart?

Things I Liked:
I actually came into this one with low expectations, having just finished and not been pleased with Halo.  However, I was pleasantly surprised.  There was no instantaneous and eternal love.  I thought there would be at first, but I really liked how the romance developed - it was slower, sweeter, and definitely more believable.  It was also not what I expected it to be.  Not only was that a relief, but the other relationships Clara develops are interesting and make it so the whole book is not about teenage romance.  It almost felt at times more like magical realism than true fantasy.  I especially love how Clara is smart and realistic and so human despite her angel-blood.  Definitely looking forward to more from this author.


Things I Didn't Like:
I have to admit, the ending was a bit of a let-down.  There was a lot of build-up (and even the beginning was a bit slow), but I felt like Hand was ensuring people would read the next book so we could figure things out.  I thought we should have been given a little more information at least.  There was so much vagueness and mystery that I almost felt frustrated.  But, I suppose that evil plan worked and I will definitely be reading the next one.


Read-alikes:
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Hush, Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Fallen by Lauren Kate

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
a few here and there


mrg-factor: none
but some excellent kissing parts :)


v-factor: ->
a very little


Overall rating: ****

Is there too much paranormal romance out there or should there be more published, if it's good (this is a newer book and pretty good)?


If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage
 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver