Book Review: Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund
Publisher: Speak
Publication date: May 2009
ISBN: 9780142414378
Source: Library


Academy 7 

Aerin comes to Academy 7 almost by a lucky chance.  Running from a past she wishes to forget, she throws herself into the rigorous curriculum of this elite school.  Her only competition for the top spot is Dane, a rich and famous boy with a bit too much arrogance.  They strike up a kind of friendship based on hours of time forced to spend together, and begin to learn they both have secrets they're hiding.  But, what they discover is a secret much bigger than just the two of them.

Things I Liked:
I thought this was a fairly interesting book.  I liked the different setting from most YA fantasy romances today.  A little sci-fi thrown in added a bit of novelty to the story.  I also liked the story of their parents and the history they were trying to figure out.  The romance was not one of those love-at-first-sight things, which was also pretty refreshing.  The plot kept things moving, even when I wasn't as interested in the characters. 


Things I Didn't Like:
I was a bit disappointed in some of the sci-fi elements.  I kept wondering about why they had textbooks and not e-books or something.  The details were very vague, so I think it will appeal more to those new to sci-fi than hardcore fans.  It seemed to not have enough information about the world and the characters - I kept waiting for more descriptions or details, but not getting enough.  It makes the story a bit forgettable and the characters a bit flat.  I do remember thinking I was more interested in Dane and Aerin's parents' stories than in the kids.  I wish I'd been able to know more about them.


Read-alikes:
Maybe Across the Universe by Beth Revis


BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none
just some kissing


v-factor: ->
a few minor incidents, nothing really described


Overall rating: ***

Maybe I read too much, but I've really forgotten most everything about this book.  Please tell me this happens to you guys?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage
 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver