Listless Monday, Civil Rights Edition

I'm starting a new feature for my blog. I don't really do many features - I like to stick with reviews, but I started thinking about how much I love themed lists and then decided I wanted to start sharing some! Today is the launch of my new Listless Monday. Since it happens to be Martin Luther King Day, I've put together some titles that deal with slavery and civil rights. I'm not setting any limitations - the books can be non-fiction or fiction, any age group.  Since I am admitting this list is nowhere near exhaustive, feel free to suggest books I don't have on here and I'll add them.  If you want to create a list of your own on any topic, I'd love to see it - just leave me a link!  (addendum: I must have been unconsciously inspired by both Amanda at A Bookshelf Monstrosity's Monday feature Books by Theme and Court at Once Upon a Bookshelf's Listed feature - they've been doing it for quite a while now.  Be sure to check out their lists!)

Slavery/Civil Rights books:

Adult fiction:
The Color of Lightning by Paulette Jiles 

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton

The Help by Katherine Stockett

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

MG/YA fiction:
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume 1: The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson


The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume 2: The Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson


Black Angels by Linda Beatrice Brown

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson


Child Out of Place: A Story of New England by Patricia Q. Wall

Claudette Colvin: Twice Towards Justice by Phillip M. Hoose
 

Copper Sun by Sharon Draper
 

Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
 

Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith

Frederick Douglass: Young Defender of Human Rights by Elisabeth P. Myers

If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson
 

Mary Jane by Dorothy Sterling

Mississippi Trial, 1955 by Chris Crowe

Phillis Wheatley, Young Revolutionary Poet by Kathryn Kilby Borland and Helen Ross Speicher

Red Thunder; Secrets, Spies, and Scoundrels at Yorktown by John P. Hunter

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis
 

A Wreath for Emmitt Till by Marilyn Nelson

Non-fiction:
Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas


A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High School by Carlotta Walls Lanier and Lisa Frazier Page

Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges
 

Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington

Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals

We are the Ship by Kadir Nelson

Anything you'd like to add?
If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage
 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver