Book Review: The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby

Posted as part of Tween Tuesday, hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen.

The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication date: October 2010
ISBN: 9780545203371
Source: Library


The Clockwork Three

When Giuseppe, a street musician who was sold away from his family in Italy, finds a magical green violin, his life is about to change forever.  It leads him carefully into the lives of Hannah and Frederick.  Hannah is working as a maid to support her family and becomes friends with a mysterious and wealthy woman.  Frederick is a clockmaker's apprentice, secretly working on a clockwork man that he hopes will propel him into his own practice.  Their lives intertwine in unique and complex ways that will lead them all to a very different future than what they imagined.

Things I Liked:
I really liked the atmosphere and characters.  This book is a true genre blend with historical fiction being the most prominent, but a bit of fantasy and steampunk thrown in.  It was so beautifully crafted that the world felt real and I could picture the three kids all living their lives and watching them slowly intertwine.  Kirby has a way of making us care deeply for the characters and I found myself sucked into their struggles and triumphs.  Also, because it is fairly unique, I really had no idea what to expect or what turns the book would take next.  A surprising and very well written debut.  Here's a great quote to give you a taste:

On the far side of the room, beneath a wide window curtained with lace, a large woman reclined on a chaise longue like an Egyptian princess, but not a beautiful one.  The woman might have been attractive underneath her roundness, but her girth filled up whatever space her beauty might have occupied. p 34
Things I Didn't Like:
The ending was a little disappointing to me.  Mostly I thought that some of his initial pieces of the story had no real importance to the story, including the clockwork man.  There was a lot going on and I don't think the many plot lines were quite tied up.  It felt, in fact, like there would be a sequel, but I'm not sure what would happen in a sequel, since it sort of ended their stories.  I guess I just wanted to know more about some of the minor characters who were mysterious and didn't appear to have a purpose other than to save the kids from one disaster or another.  Still, I enjoyed reading it a lot.


Read-alikes:
Candle Man, Book 1 by Glenn Dakin

A bit like Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
a little action and some frightening stuff, but nothing much


Overall rating: ****

Have you read any good genre blend books lately?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage
 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver