Book Review: Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1: The Field Guide by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi

The Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 1: The Field Guideis a fun introduction to the Spiderwick series. The Grace family just moved into a big and creepy new house. Not only are they still adjusting to their father being gone, but now they have to deal with weird creatures that play mean tricks on them in the night. When Jared finds a book full of illustrations of strange beings, he doesn't realize just what the consequences of that find will bring.


Things I Liked:
I listened to this one on audio and I loved the voices the narrator used. Especially the ones for the creatures. The story itself is quite interesting and I am very interested in reading the rest of the series (or listening). It is imaginative, fun, and full of strange adventures. The only regret I have about listening to it is missing the illustrations! I think I would have loved this when I was a kid.

Things I Didn't Like:
The book is definitely just an introduction to the series and doesn't really have a very complete story arc. The story is not wrapped up at the end at all - which just ends up leaving us begging for more! I was a bit annoyed by the mother always blaming Jared for everything that went wrong.

Read-alikes:
Reminded me of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull
A little bit like the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke (in feeling, not really story)

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
not so much violent as a bit scary

Overall rating: ****

What books have you discovered as an adult and wished you'd known about (or wished they were written) when you were a kid?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage
 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver