Book Review: Outside In by Maria V. Snyder

Outside In by Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication date: February 2011
ISBN: 9780373210114
Source: e-copy of ARC from NetGalley


Outside In (Harlequin Teen)

*Some spoilers for Inside Out below*
When Trella and her friends led the revolution to overthrow the Travas, they expected everything to work out perfectly.  What they didn't expect was the endless meetings and impossible task of uniting a people who don't want to be united.  Uppers and lowers are still not getting along and now a new threat to Inside's peace has surfaced.  An unknown bomber is sabotaging the vital systems that keep Inside going.  The question is, why?  Trella doesn't want to lead another rebellion, but will she have a choice? 

Things I Liked:
I still enjoyed the fresh-to-me setting of hurtling through space and living in a society entirely contained within itself.  There are some fun technologies and gadgets that Snyder gets to incorporate that make the future society interesting.  Also, I really enjoyed the fact that she showed the aftermath of a revolution and how nothing really ran smoothly.  It was a realistic portrayal of trying to unite differing people and how overthrowing one leader doesn't necessarily lead to automatic peace and prosperity.  An interesting and unique sequel to Inside Out.  Here's a fun quote:

"Nothing says you care for me better than offering to torture my enemies."  He grinned.  "No sense doing things halfhearted.  And to think, some girls have to endure listening to poetry."
Things I Didn't Like:
I had a hard time feeling like I connected to any of the characters.  Trella wasn't that interesting anymore and I just didn't feel like I cared about anyone else either.  I was really bothered by the use of wipe boards while there was so much advanced technology in other places.  It seemed out of place and ridiculous, though probably useful if all technology disappeared.  There were a few twists, but not much that you couldn't see coming.  I'm still not sure what accounts for most of my dissatisfaction, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping.  Still, I enjoyed my reading of it and was able to set aside my annoyances for the most part.


Read-alikes:
Read Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder first 

A tiny bit like Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness 
Across the Universe by Beth Revis

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
a few here and there


mrg-factor: XX
several situations, nothing too descriptive


v-factor: ->->
some action fighting


Overall rating: ***

Any suggestions for some good space dystopian lit? I haven't read many, but I'm intrigued by them.

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage
 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver