Book Review: The Adventures of Ook and Gluk by Dav Pilkey

Posted as part of Tween Tuesday, hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen.

The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future by Dav Pilkey
Publisher: Blue Sky Press (Scholastic)
Publication date: August 2010
ISBN: 9780545175302

Source: Review copy provided by publisher

The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future

Things I Liked:
This book is pure silliness.  The kung-fu cavemen are solely designed to bring out the laughs.  The illustrations match perfectly the style of the writing and story.  I loved the almost childlike drawings that tended to go along with the "caveman" talk.  I got the most entertainment out of the flip-o-rama action pages though.  It was loads of ridiculousness that will entertain all, reluctant readers especially.  I passed it right off to my 10-year old nephew who devoured it in a very short period of time.  Definitely a winner.  Here's a peak inside:


Things I Didn't Like:
While I tried to ignore the adult reader in me, I did find the spelling and grammar mistakes to be super annoying.  Yes, these are my own sensibilities projected onto the book.  Still, I must mention that I was bothered.  I don't think it will bother many kids, though.  It's sheer entertainment and silly humor and that's the way it should be.


Read-alikes:
Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey

It will probably also appeal to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid crowd

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none
potty humor doesn't count, right?


mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
nothing but a bit of kung fu action 


Overall rating: ****

Don't forget to enter the Huge Scholastic Prize Pack giveaway to win a copy of Ook and Gluk, along with several other awesome books!
If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage
 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver